Installing a sod lawn has many advantages over other lawn planting methods such as seeding, springing, plugging, etc. Here are some of the top reasons why you should choose to sod a lawn.
Advantages of Sod for a New Lawn
- A sod lawn produces an “instant new lawn.” The most popular benefit to sodding is the fact that there is no lingering wait to be able to enjoy a gorgeous, green yard. When you sod, you are getting a huge head-start to be able to use your new lawn for regular activities like playing or entertaining. A seed or sprigged yard takes a significant amount of time to grow (typically 18 months), leaving your yard looking bare and unattractive. Sodding is usually ready for heavy activity after only two weeks, allowing it to be a fast lawn-planting option that adds immediate beauty to your home’s outdoor space.
- Once installed, sod requires less irrigation than other methods of planting a new lawn. Newly-planted sod should typically be watered twice a day for the first couple of weeks. Seeding a lawn can require up to four or more waterings per day to maintain the moisture required for proper seed germination. This can be costly and time-consuming.
- Sod makes for a denser lawn. When sodding, pieces are fit tightly together to get a lush, even lawn. There are no bare spots in a sodded yard that would require extra work, like reseeding for example.
- Sod prevents soil erosion. Upon installation, a new lawn of sod is already fully mature, allowing better control of dust, mud, and erosion. Sodded turfgrass is a quick and excellent filter that keeps dirt and dust out of your home.
- Sod is grown by professional turfgrass farmers, who give your lawn a strong foundation for health and beauty. The Woerner Family has been in the sod business for over 35 years, acquiring the knowledge and experience needed to grow our premium sod products. Woerner’s turfgrass is grown on the best soils using superior growing and maintenance techniques. This allows Woerner Landscape Source and Woerner Farms to provide a premium product to homeowners and landscape contractors year-round. Don’t fuss with the hassle of trying to seed, spring, or plug a new lawn. Install an instant weed-free, pest-free, healthy lawn using Woerner sod!